Saturday, July 5, 2014

hanging - How do I hang a chair from a concrete ceiling from a single hook? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

I'm putting in a "hanging chair" in the basement and it's supposed to hang from a single hook in the ceiling. The ceiling is reinforced concrete.
Now, I'm about 125 kilograms (275 lbs) so I reckon the hook should easily be able to bear twice that for safety. Is that a good enough margin?
What would be the easiest and best way to mount a hook in the ceiling that will hold about 250 kgs (550 lbs)?
shareimprove this question
1 
2x margin seems low. People tend to hang/swing on stuff way to much. Also what is behind the concrete? I.e is it a poured ceiling, is there structure in there, a beam, etc? –  Alex Feinman Sep 8 '10 at 20:41 
   
I think it's just poured concrete with rebars in. –  henriksen Sep 9 '10 at 9:03
add comment
I'd recommend a concrete epoxy for this application. It's expensive at $19 but is stronger than a mechanical anchor, and you can sink a standard eye bolt in there for a nice clean look. I'd recommend a heavy 1/2" one like this -- that one is 6" long, but if the ceiling is thick enough you could bury most of it in your hole so just the eye is exposed.


hanging - How do I hang a chair from a concrete ceiling from a single hook? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

No comments:

Post a Comment